Thursday, October 22, 2009

Week of 10.19 - 10.25

So this has been a chill week for me - have felt pretty good after the Tallahassee race. On Monday, me and the Stephanator did a little walk/run session -- this really helped to loosen me up. I did have a slight tightness in my hips after Sunday -- probably just because I haven't sat on my MTB for that long since February. I've noticed that i have a wider Q-factor on my mtb -- definitley feels and looks like my legs are wider than on my road / tri bikes. I'll probably adjust that and see if I notice any difference - probably just need to shove the cleats over and that'll take care of it.


Tuesday nite, we tried to do an ez road ride but I got a flat within the first 10min so we turned around to go home and I swapped out wheels and we only got in about 30min total - all just super ez spinning. Last night (Wednesday) we did the Renegade ride on my converted Spark:

It was a fun ride -- it's right at 30 miles and everybody is riding a mountain bike with slicks and a couple of guys have bought or built up some hybrid-type bikes with 700c. I think one guy is on a cyclocross bike also. It's definitely a different ride and it goes back through a bunch of neighborhoods - starting in Jax Beach, south and then back through PonteVedra, heads north through Jax Beach into Neptune Beach, then to Atlantic Beach and then retraces back to Jax Beach. 98% of the ride is on back roads. It gets pretty dark so everyone has lights on. A few stretches of the ride are designated 'Sprint Points' but we regroup afterwards and speeds usually average around 14-18mph. It's WAY better than sittin on the trainer, that's for sure.
Tonight (Thursday) a bunch of us are getting together to watch the movie "Race Across the Sky" about the Leadville 100 race in Colorado. With Lance having raced it the past 2yrs its way popular and they documented this year against him and Dave Wiens. It should be a cool show. I'd definitely want to give that race a shot one day just to experience it -- and get a belt buckle!

Well, for the weekend - nothing much exciting happening - i've got 4hrs planned on Saturday with DocLuv (he'll be rolling 6-1/2 hrs himself + 45 min t-run.......ironman training is NO JOKE). On Sunday, I plan on running at least 7 miles (maybe 10, depending on how Saturday's ride goes). I'm working on a little build up to get ready for the Outback Half-Marathon on Thanksgiving. Want to try to give it a hard effort & try to beat my time from last year. I was kinda thinking about a sub-1:30 but that might be a little lofty right now. I'll throw out a sub-1:35 for now as a goal (last year was 1:37).....

Feels good to be doing fun and different stuff right now. Will be on the mtb a bit more as we move into the fall and i'm gonna try to keep the running up as well.

No comments: